January 6, 2009| Category: Dissertation Advice
If you are a freelance writer, you should not fret as to what you need to do because there are numerous things that may be done if you are in this kind of career. Contacts could be made, and at the same time, the skills that you have for writing could still be improved, and at the same time, acquire all the necessary equipment. But above all, having the capability to work hard day and night is of utmost importance. Writers who would not be persevering and would not be devoted and passionate about their work would not be able to truly succeed in their career.
For each freelance writer, they have their own definition of how it is to work hard. You may think that in order for you to be able to say that you have actually worked hard, you would have to spend about 10 hours every day just working. However, there may be another person who could say that working hard means spending about six hours doing paperwork. You should not worry about what the standard is for working hard, but rather, bear in mind that as long as there is that feeling of accomplishment then you may already say that you are actually working hard and that you are happy with what you are doing. However, if you would get lazy or unmotivated, then this is the time when you could get to experience certain kinds of problems.
You should always keep in mind that working hard could never be replaced in any way. This is applicable not only to a single freelance writer, but rather, to each and every writer no matter what stage the writer may be in. For those who have just started being a freelance writer, you may have to work much harder so that your work would become even more recognized by others. But you should never forget to continue working hard even if you have already gained numerous contacts as well as experience.
Eventually, you would see the success that are going to experience and things would change with regard to the schedule that you are going to have.
December 24, 2008| Category: Business Writing Jobs
In writing your articles, it is crucial that you look for a reference that can support your ideas and arguments. You cannot simply come up with your own arguments and statements since you might not be able to defend it clearly and rationally later. Though you are entitled for your own opinion, it will still be great if there are some articles or written resources that can support your stand or claim.
This is also a vital requirement in freelance writing. With the help of resources, you can widen your horizon and understanding about certain topics. Moreover, if you are starting a career in this industry, some advices that would help you get started in this business will be very helpful. The more advices you can get, the better your performance would be.
Looking for such information is not a problem anymore. There is already a great avenue for writers to look for references when they need one and this is the Web. With the varying and rich information databank that the Internet can offer, there are no more worries for any freelance writer to look for references that can help them in their own article. One just needs to take an extra effort to browse for articles carefully and thoroughly that are available from this medium. Additionally, there are already websites wherein you can immediately find resources that can help you get started in the freelance writing industry. Some articles in these websites offer general to specific tips in writing.
Thus, the Internet is really a great avenue for you to learn a lot about freelance writing and how to become a great freelance writer. Still, the result of your career will solely depend on you. No matter how many advices you read or how many resources you access, it will still be useless if you do not have the will to make it happen. Remember that a great career in this industry relies on the perseverance of the writer itself. If you want to succeed, then look for some tips and advices that can help you and make it happen today.
December 19, 2008| Category: Careers in Writing
No matter what career you choose, there is always some startup cost that you need to spend on with. Though this may vary from one career to another, this is something that you just cannot get rid of. You need to face it upfront and handle the expenses wisely.
A career in freelance writing does not require too much startup cost. It is probably one of the careers wherein you are not required to spend too much on items and equipments for you to get started. In this field, you just need to own few materials so that you can move forward and do great.
Basically, freelance writers would need a computer and printer. It would be impossible to imagine a writer without a computer on his desk. After all, this is the basic requirement of the job. Without this, your chosen career is in gray area.
Most freelance writers already have their own computer and printer on their desk. Because they already own one before they even started, they already have the advantage of dealing with clients immediately and promptly. Moreover, they do not need to spend more money as they start since the needed equipments are already within their reach.
However, for those that want to get into this career but do not have the necessary equipments, it would be difficult for them and might require rushing to the market to buy the items needed. If this is the case, one should not spend too much on the devices. Since you will just be starting out, it is wise to invest on affordable equipments first. You still do not know what will happen to you in this industry so it would be practical if you do not spend too much money yet.
An additional item that might also be important, but not necessarily required, is a telephone. Through this, you would be able to accept calls that are related to your work. But you do not really have to invest for one immediately if you are still starting. This can wait when you already have enough income and interested clients.
December 1, 2008| Category: Writer Jobs
During your first day as a freelance writer, you might feel fidgety and nervous with doubts as to your ability of finding a client. This is normal though for it is quite difficult to convince anybody with your service if you do not have something to show as yet. However, days later, you will find your first client and as long as you give your best, you will be surprised of the workload that will keep on coming.
Here are some tips for your freelance writing career that will help you find your first client:
1. Be patient. This virtue is necessary in this job. You should learn to wait when you might have your first client. Even if you may encounter several failures along the way, you should tell yourself that your first client will come and give way to more clients. If you are lucky, you may have your first client on your first day or you may find one after just a few weeks. Just be optimistic and do not give up easily.
2. Explore more avenues to find your first client. Use every way that you know of how to find your first client. You should be resourceful in doing so. If you can, you should exhaust all means available. You can use the Internet for online freelance writing jobs. You should also do cold calling, cold emailing, join bidding sites, and more. If it seems like your first client is hard to find, you should all the more exert efforts in your search. Search every corner that there is in the writing world.
The search for your first client is really difficult. You may even contemplate about giving up on your future in the freelance writing career. However, this might be the right time for you to start building up on your career. You should just be flexible enough in finding ways by which you can reach out more to your market. Learn to adjust your marketing plan to fit in new promotions, as you see appropriate.
Freelance writing will become easier once you have already found your first client.
November 27, 2008| Category: Dissertation Advice
There are a lot of freelance writers who may be doing it part-time but, are already thinking about doing it full-time. If you are one of these, then this would surely be a major transition that you are about to experience. However, if you truly feel that you are now ready for this kind of undertaking, then it is a must to immediately do so instead of prolonging this transition.
You just have to take these three simple tips into account so that this transition would become more meaningful and worth remembering:
1. You should be aware of what you are going to do and what you are about to do. When you decide to work as a full-time freelance writer, it would be different from working part-time. Also, you should be prepared to work longer, and that you may become busy. If for instance you have no other source of income besides this, you should immediately try to move to being a full-time writer immediately.
2. You should first be able to answer all possible questions that are running through your mind before you make any decision to go full-time. A freelance writer may have a set of various questions different from another writer. There are those who are curious about how they would be able to appropriately market once they become a full-time writer. Aside from this, there are also those writers who are interested to know about the number of hours that needs to be devoted. The answers are to be found by simply exploring your surroundings and what are the available sources for your answers.
3. Go straight ahead. There are writers who are still afraid of this kind of decision in the sense that they beat around it and in the end, do not actually end up getting there. You should know within you that you are prepared and indeed ready for this kind of transition. When do not go ahead and dive in, it would be difficult for you to actually achieve the goals that you have just because you became afraid to really go through this transition and you may not be confident about yourself.
November 9, 2008| Category: Writing Tips
Taking the plunge and going for a full-time freelance writing career should be quite an exciting moment. Unfortunately, not very many people make it to this level. For a lot of reasons, they remain in their part-time positions. In some worse cases, they have given up their careers all in all. If you feel that something is holding you back from becoming a full-pledged freelance writer, then it is high time to make some drastic changes.
Among the many worries of freelance writers is fear. A lot of people are afraid to let go of the comforts that their nine to five jobs give. Are you afraid that the money that you will be earning will not be able to get you enough to stay afloat? These are some very common concerns. Fear is absolutely one thing that a lot of people will face if they are looking forward to becoming full-time freelance writers. However, you should also remember that this can be a great form of motivation at the same time.
Are you now ready? Some people have doubts about their readiness to become full-time freelance writers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these kinds of feelings. But you should also remember that you should be completely comfortable with your career decision. If something about your choice feels apprehensive for any reason, you should think twice and lean more to your part-time career for the mean time.
You should also never heed people who say that becoming a freelance writer full-time is a terrible choice. Believe me, a lot of people are sceptics when it comes to this. Some of them might even be the people who are close to you. Of course, you may want to hear them out; but it would up to you to make the final decision on the career path that you want to take. Of course, it would be undesirable if the person who makes the decision for your path is not yourself.
So what exactly is keeping you from taking the plunge? Once you find the specific problem, you can think of the best solution. There is a high chance that the thing holding you back is one very minor problem you can easily get over.
October 22, 2008| Category: Freelance Writing
A lot of people are hesitant to try becoming a freelance writer. They presumably had a number of excuses why they always say next time even if they want this job. You cannot deny the fact that making excuses is easy than trying this kind of opportunity. However, it is also a bit risky in deciding whether you have to pursue this freelance writing job. But all you need is the courage to take the first step and then eventually, things will come your way. It is only in the beginning that you had to take a lot of adjustments and risks, but not until you get used to it.
And to give you an idea that now is the best time to start your freelance writing career, here are some reasons why you should go for it:
1. You are looking for a secured job. If you think that your boss will cut off your income, and then try being you as your own boss. You are in charge of your own career and because of this, you feel energized with the kind of setting you have.
2. You will get to involve in a large market so you need not to worry on where to cater your work. With this, you can be working in web content, to article writing, to advertising, and more. It is a big mistake about considering this career as a small market for this is in fact a huge industry. Do not believe other people telling you that freelance writing is just a small business.
3. Earning a lucrative income is very accessible. You have the control of your own income. Unlike having an employer, you need not to wait for your monthly income that your employer offers you. And like any common jobs, you have to understand that your boss is always right. And that is not the case of being in a freelance writing career.
If you think your questions are being answered, then start building your own freelance writing dream right now!
October 17, 2008| Category: Business Writing Jobs
If you want to last long in a career, you should be able to do it day after day with a smile plastered on your lips. This way, you will find that your job is not a hard thing to do. It will not feel as though it really is a job. If you are enjoying while you are doing it, you will encounter less problems and frustrations with it. If this is how you feel towards freelance writing, you may have found just the right career for you.
One of the top targets in looking for a job is a good salary. However, a good pay will not be able to offset a job that will leave you unsatisfied. You have to keep these two things in balance. You should also consider how enjoyable a job is. Without fun, you will feel as though days are dragging as you wait for yet another round of payments. You will easily get burnt out which is not a good thing. You should find a job that you can sustain. Thus, you should find a job that is fun and gives a good pay at the same time.
There are various reasons as to why freelance writing can be considered as fun. Other people might say that writing keeps them happy. Others find comfort in writing which is why they want to keep on doing it. If it keeps you fulfilled, why take it away from yourself? Another thing is that writing does not only mean that you are always giving. It is also a learning process on your part, especially when you will be dealing with many other professionals as you go along your career. Aside from being fun, freelance writing is also educational. It can widen your knowledge about many different things.
If you are in the freelance writing business and you do not feel satisfied with it anymore, it could be the right time for you to consider another career path that you will find refreshing and enjoyable. If doing so will make you feel better, you should not frustrate yourself with writing.