Have you ever asked yourself how someone can make good money from freelance writing? Have you already tried working as a freelancer but came to naught? Before you take a fateful decision on your future career, let us uncover some secrets of becoming a successful freelance writer.
1. Be realistic. If your academic writing ability is not crafted to perfection, there’s no use in submitting articles or essays to editors. Does your punctuation leave a lot to be desired? Do you need to polish up your grammar? You don’t have even the faintest idea how to format the papers? Keep your shirt on! Freelance writers have to master their craft. Take some online courses, get some useful books, do whatever it takes. The chances are low you’re so talented that one day you decide to become a freelance writer, and strike gold the next.
2. Take the first step. It’s always hard to get started when there are so many questions unanswered, and the vision of successful future is unclear, but don’t let that preliminary step trip you up! The point is to make the first step and start earning money. Taking action is a powerful thing, and the best place to start is – somewhere. Time is a currency for a newbie freelancer so be tolerant with it and keep bustling forward. Think of how you would like to display your portfolio, decide what topics or disciplines you’re good at, find some samples, and pitch like mad until you find some good work to start with.
3. Get into scheduled routine. The truth is, your schedule won’t magically work itself out. It’s not that important if you’re a workaholic, or a couch potato, establishing a regular routine will do you good. Start with a written plan, some scrappy notes, a full timetable, or whatever works best for you. Even such grand people as Ernest Hemingway used to stick to a strict timetable. Getting up early and writing after first light, when no one is there to disturb you, was one of his endearing habits. When doing research or writing, try to block out all distractions: don’t go on social networks, turn off your mobile, don’t get tempted to surf around the Internet. Try to develop productive routines. Don’t forget to include household chores, family get-togethers, cooking, etc. into your schedule. In short, have a planned working day and always stick to your agenda.
4. Carry out extensive research. It’s not enough to simply open a webpage and copy and paste the information you don’t know they’re talking about. Even top professionals conduct in-depth research. For instance, if you are to write about healthy lifestyle, it may turn out to be a good idea to draw up a questionnaire for some of your friends to fill in. You will need to weigh up the pros and cons of nutrition, sleeping hours, physical activities. Search for suitable websites that give relevant information, go to a local library, and remember that painstaking research always pays off!
5. Work hard for positive results. All successful personalities work hard to get what they want. If you’re wasting your working hours on watching TV, don’t expect any good results to come shortly. A good freelance writer puts in lots of efforts and time to succeed. In other words, you reap what you sow. The secret is to be focused on writing and set goals. The trick is if you deal with the subjects you’re passionate about and familiar with, it will be easy and interesting to get absorbed into the writing process.
All in all, if you find freelance writing a lucrative business and approach it as such, get ready to grow rich soon. But above all, remember to enjoy the process of earning money itself.